[alberg30] Rudder project continued

Rap1208 at aol.com Rap1208 at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 21:03:48 PST 1999

From: Rap1208 at aol.com

Tom, good move on the name change!  Glad the pictures will be helpfull.  I
haven't seen a rudder apart, but one old, neglected example in my yard, had
the wooden pieces drifting apart.  It was made of more or less verticle
boards, with what appeared to be long pins connecting them.  My Ariel had an
arrangement much like that.  I drifted the pins in with a hammer and large
punch, and the boards tightened up. ( I also classed it over)   Also might be
very long threaded bronze rods, I'm not sure.  but the rudder can be
constructed with mahogony, and glassed over, if you like.  Guess you'll have
to inprovise.  Long threaded rods, bronze or stainless, brased or welded to
the rudder shaft would work.  you have to carefuly drill the boards , then
slide them on.  About 3, I would guess, then counter sink slightly at the
trailing edge, and use nuts to tighten.  YOU CAN DO IT

Russ