[alberg30] Re: slab reefing and headsail furling

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 07:48:07 PST 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

Bob, greetings.

I was interested to read your remarks:

>When  we bought Wind Call (#397) the mainsail had a single jiffy reef point
>at the 1 1/2  reef position (ie: half way between the locations for the
>first and second reefs). It proved so satisfactory that when we replaced
>the sails we had the first reef installed in the same place and added a
>second one above where the second one would normally be.

I am about to spring for a new suit of sails, and your observations tracked
my thoughts about going with only a single set of reef points.  I cannot
imagine there being enough wind in the Sound that would require a second set
-- at least, not in conditions that I would be likely to leave port.  My
question:  Have you found, on those times that you have reefed using the
deeper first reef, that there is a range in which your boat feels
undercanvassed when reefed, but overcanvassed when not?  And what loft did
you hire to cut your sails?

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)
Oyster Bay, New York