[alberg30] Support Beam

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 17:21:40 PST 1999

From: Miabarchet at aol.com

Joe:
Thanks for the info. I currently have none of the conditions you
describe,compressed deck, ect.  I wrote because with all of  the discussion
about the delaminated wooden beam   I became concerned that my boat would
eventualy have that problem . I am relieved to learn that we have a aluminium
beam.

We did at one time have wet core material in the vicinity of the mast step.
The original owner had drilled two holes in the deck, one for the mast wiring
and one for the antena cable . These were not sealed properly and you know
the result. Also water entered the core from the forward hatch hinges.  About
5 years ago I repaired the area by opening the holes in the deck to about 1
1/4 " Dia. I only enlarged the holes at the deck level, I did not drill thru
to the liner. I also removed the hatch and cut away the deck under the
hinges.  Then using homemade tools, 3/16" and 1/4" Dia. rod 1 foot long bent
sharply at one end and ground to a sharp chisel point I was  able to reach
between the deck and liner a remove the damaged core. Then using a chalking
tube I filled void with epoxy thickened with high density filler. The hinges
completely covered the repair so there was no cosmetic work to be done. On
the liner under the hinges I epoxyed stainless backup plate for added
strength.

The holes I repaired by making bronze tubes approx. 5/8' O.D. x 1/2" I.D.
long enough to reach from the liner to 1" above the deck.  At the deck level
^^ 1' from the end there is a 1 1/4" dia. flange that hides the hole. These I
epoxyed in place.  Also the top ends of tubes have external pipe threads so
they can be capped off during winter storage .

I'm sorry for being so wordy but think the info useful for making the repair
with no cosmetic work involved.