[alberg30] Support Beam

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Nov 8 10:52:27 PST 1999

From: "George Dinwiddie" <gdinwiddie at min.net>

Guy,

It sounds like you may have two problems.  The normal mast
sag of the newer boats is the inner pan sagging under the
weight of the bulkhead.  The fix for that involves cutting an
access in the vertical part at the entrance to the forepeak
and glassing in better support.

The bulging of the overhead is probably due to core rot from
water infiltrating the balsa core of the cabin top.  This
calls for opening up the glass, replacing the core and
reglassing.  It's possible to do so from the underside, but
it's infinitely easier to do so from the top.

 - George

> On #466, built in 1971, the mast step area will need to be
> re-done as well.
> I noticed this summer that the cabin ceiling interfered with
> opening the
> head door. I had to fold the fore half slightly before
> opening the whole
> door. The lump in the ceiling is noticeable and seems to be
> more on the port
> side of center. Also the v-berth door was rubbing slightly at
> the top but
> only about 1" on both sides of center. Also the other
> telltale sign was that
> rig tension could not be maintained. Now that the mast is
> down, the ceiling
> area has almost resumed its normal position and I can close
> the v-berth
> door. With the v-berth door shut, the distance between the
> door frame and
> the door is not constant, looks normal at the top but I can
> see into the
> v-berth at the bottom. I'm not sure what to make of that, if
> anything, maybe
> it came out of the factory that way. Any thoughts on that ?

       GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA:
Get an APR as low as 9.9 Fixed & NO annual fee! Apply online today!