[alberg30] Winterizing A-4 and othe rthings.

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Oct 21 05:37:36 PDT 1999

From: Gordon White <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   I might add to Bob Kirk's observations that if left in the water (as I do)
you can fill the raw water system with antifreeze in the same way as he
describes, just close the intake seacock, pull off the hose, stick it in a
bucket of mixed antifreeze solution (50-50 mix), run the engine until it spits
antifreeze out the exhaust, then shut it off and re-attach the hoses. I
occasionally drain & re-fill the antifreeze coolant in the fresh water heat
exchange system in my diesel.
    You can, if you wish, slack off the fan belt tension for the winter, too.
    I have a battery charger with a cutoff (so it does not continue to charge
once the batteries are "full") that I leave on the batteries. I have recently
found a small (cheaper) version of this charger that stays attached to the
battery and will give it a 1 1/5 amp charge until the voltage reaches something
like 13.5 volts, then shuts off. I am going to use this one this winter.  It is
about the size of a pack of English cigarettes. It gives the batteries a lot
more life than letting them slowly discharge over the winter in freezing
weather. I just put one on my brother's jeep that we winterized up at his cabin
in northern Michigan.
    WalMart has these for $24.95. He bought one at CarQuest for $54 and I
priced one at Yates at $75, so there is a wide price range for essentially the
same the same thing.
    I put StaBil in the fuel tanks and fill them up.
                        - Gordon White

Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at ONElist.
For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click below.