[alberg30] Towing

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Mon Oct 4 08:21:54 PDT 1999

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

Brian ... I would guess that most of our Alberg 30's if actually put on a
scale would go over 10,000 lbs. Remember these are loaded boats which over the
years have likely gained a bit of weight just like their Captains.

Add to this, the weight of the trailer  (I suspect mine is 2,000 lbs.)  and
you are someplace around 12,000 lbs. payload.  I try to use a one ton when I
can , but for the short haul I have used 3/4 ton.  I would not even think of
anything less than 3/4 ton.

Tom S
A-30  #412

Brian Zinser wrote:

> From: Brian Zinser <bzinser at nmu.edu>
>
> For those of us north of the 45th, our sailing season is rapidly coming to
> an end.  (21 degrees F this morning!) Next week is haul out and I have
> recently acquired a trailer.  I was planning to tow the boat a few miles,
> at low speed, on level ground to my winter storage site.  I'm beginning to
> get a little nervous about whether I should use my vehicle.  My
> understanding is that the gross weight of an Alberg is about 10,000 lbs.
>
> I have a full size Montero with a Class III hitch.  I know the boat exceeds
> the recommended towing weight.  Am I crazy to attempt this, or should I
> look for someone who has a big truck?
>
> Brian Zinser
> Manana #134

Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!