[alberg30] another boom query

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Oct 7 08:57:07 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

ALBERG GREAT LAKES AND CHESAPEAKE BAY ASSOCIATION RULES/DIMENSIONS
Main Size: Luff 31' max
	   Foot 14' 3" max
	   Leech 33'6" max

Advice: Build to the max but small shelf and fairly flat cut with the
angle at 90 degrees, luff to foot.  Use full battens and a two-ply
leach.   Don't lower the boom, SAFETY and illegal for racing.

John
SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> From: SandersM at aol.com
>
> In a message dated 10/7/99 7:24:01 AM, cjk at tir.com writes:
>
> >When installing the track, I ended up cutting approximately 6 inches off the
> >upper end of the gooseneck slide and extending the sail track this extra
> >distance.  This was done to accommodate the stacked height of the bat cars
> >on the boom (when in the furled   position) and facilitate the reefing
> >process.
>
> Okay, I see the logic of this, we're on the same wavelength.  Now, did you
> have your loft compensate for this change by having them cut the main six
> inches taller, so that it would still hoist to the masthead?  If so, then by
> adding 6-8 square feet of sail to the rig at the bottom of the main, have you
> altered the boat's sailing characteristics in any noticeable way?  If the
> added canvas improved her light-air performance without any adverse
> consequences in other conditions -- I would think that adding more sail at
> the foot without increasing mast height would increase the rig's power and
> lower its center of effort -- then wouldn't it make sense to run the new sail
> track down near the bottom of the old gooseneck track?  In other words, is
> there any reason why we shouldn't set the main with the boom at/near the
> bottom of the gooseneck track rather than the top?
>
> It sounds good in theory, but I wonder if anyone has done this and
> experienced any adverse consequences.  The boom would sweep the cockpit more
> closely, but I am six feet tall and the boom at rest now just touches my
> hair; I suppose a warning to taller crew on tacks would become necessary.
> I'm not a racer, but would the added canvas disqualify her from fleet racing?
>

> Sanders McNew
> WILD ELF (# 297)
> New York City

Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!