[alberg30] another boom query

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 08:57:12 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Sanders,
Your question about the boom sliding on it's own track;

With a traditional main, the track serves to allow tensioning the luff of the
main, with the head of the sail pulled maximaly to the top of the mast with
the halyard.  This you must have known already.

The track should serve the same purpose with a fully battened main, though I
have never sailed with a fully battened main, so I don't know if there are
other considerations.

My biggest concern after reading your letter, and why I am answering, is your
question about putting the boom on the same track as the sail.  I am sure the
sail track would not be strong enough to support the gooseneck, if you could
even find compatible cars, and in a rough jibe, I'm sure the boom would tear
out the sail track.

I guess you are aware that on modern racing boats, the gooseneck is often
fixed to the mast, no track, and luff tension is controled by cunningham and
halyard, etc.  If fully battened mains require a fixed height gooseneck, it
shouldn't be too hard to fabricate, or have fabricated, stops to go above and
bellow the main gooseneck, to keep it in one place on the track.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Get EXPERT CONTENT at ONElist!