[alberg30] Insurance

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Fri Oct 15 11:07:16 PDT 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

I bought my A30 quite unexpectedly, and had to scramble for insurance.  The
first place I called was BOAT/US, and they insured it without difficulty.  I
have no idea whether BOAT/US's premiums are high or low in price for the
policies they write.  As a general rule, though, I would not compare policy
premiums by themselves as a way of deciding whom to use.  Insurance policies
cover all sorts of risks in all sorts of ways, and their deductibles and
policy exclusions and loss limitations all affect the premium -- as, for that
matter, does the geographical location in which you find yourself, and the
cruising range for which you are insuring your vessel, and your own
experience as a yachtsman.

The market for insurance is pretty competitive.  In theory, at least, you
shouldn't find too great a disparity for premiums among insurers for
comparable policies in the same region.  The better course is to shop based
on the underwriter's track record in processing and paying claims.  As for
this, I have no earthly idea who is good and who is not.  As I said, the
circumstances of my purchase drove me to buy the first policy I could find.
Happily, I've never had occasion to find out first-hand how any marine
insurer handles its claims.  Does anyone have any experience with BOAT/US in
this respect?

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)
New York City