[alberg30] Insurance, one experience

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 17 08:37:30 PDT 1999

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

Hey -

When I bought Strayaway Child in 1994, I asked for a quote from Boat/US.  It
took them over 2 weeks to reply, and the quote was close to $600.  I already
had a satisfactory survey, so that wasn't the problem.  Do you folks all
have diesels (I still have an Atomic 4)?

I went through Ocean Underwriters in Wilmington, NC.  I have not filed a
claim, but others I know have been reasonably pleased with how their claims
were handled.  I pay $340/year, it would be less if I stayed on the
Albemarle/Pamlico Sounds but I do sail (slightly) offshore occasionally.  My
hurricane risk is probably higher than you guys on the Chesapeake to.

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229

Dan Sternglass wrote:

> From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>
>
> All,
>
> I have insured my A-30 for the 14 years I've had it with American Modern
> Home insurers, about $570/year for liability, 3rd party medical and
> $20,000 on the hull. I've made 2 claims: (1) Was for a break-in with
> chisel and sledge requiring replacement of V-berth hatch and drop
> boards. They paid the estimate from a local cabinet-maker, minus the
> deductible ($250.00?). Second experience: 2 years ago, critters
> (rodents) destroyed 2 jibs while in winter storage. They denied coverage
> based on a specific exclusion in the policy for rodent damage. Ouch!
>
> --Dan Sternglass
> dans at stmktg.com
> Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

      Win a Digital Camera and Earn 6 Percent APY Interest!
SFNB is reinventing Internet Banking with a 6 percent APY Interest
Checking acct. For acct details and to sign up to win a digital camera: