[alberg30] Wind vane steering

Tommy Yonker tyonker at acnet.net
Mon Oct 18 18:07:20 PDT 1999

Dear Peter, I too would like to hear experiences with the QME type vane. I have read that they don't work worth a darn downwind.  I also wonder about the ability to keep the boat from yawing badly downwind.
FWIW there is a book by Peter Forthman on the subject, and he recomends the auxilliary rudder types
(Cape Horne et al)  over anything else on the market. None of these appeal to me because of cost.  Bernard Moitessier recomends the trim tab on outboard rudder type.  Anyone had any luck with other than a $2,000.00 plus solution?