[alberg30] Winterizing A-4 and othe rthings.

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 08:43:36 PDT 1999

From: SandersM at aol.com

Shawn, greetings.

Re painting below and adding pressure water systems:  A useful reference on
both points (and many others) is a book by Don Casey called This Old Boat
(subtitled, "Turn a rundown fiberglass boat into a first-class yacht on a
shoestring budget"), published in 1991 by International Marine/McGraw Hill.
Painting below is pretty easy; Casey suggests that you practice by painting
the insides of your lockers first.

As for water systems (a problem I have so far avoided by lugging bottled
water aboard, ugh) Casey sets out the pros and cons of pressurized and
unpressurized systems, and recommends an unpressurized system operated by a
footpump.  He reasons (soundly, I think) that it is less prone to failure and
less likely to waste sweet water and electricity; the foot pump solves the
problem of washing up one-handed.  But if you do choose to convert to a
pressured system, Casey gives instructions and advice for installing both
types.

Good luck!  Where are you wintering IL MOLINO?

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF (# 297)
New York City