[alberg30] Support Beam

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 08:42:41 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

In a message dated 10/22/99 9:25:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gewhite at crosslink.net writes:

<< Mine only sagged after
 I bought it in '91 and had the rigging set up professionally. Read Biegel put
 in the aluminum beam which solved the problem. >>
I still can't beleive that the Triton and the A30 were so under-designed in
this respect at the mast-step.  where does a boat have to be stronger than at
the mast step?  On the old wooden boats, with keel stepped masts, the
garboard seams and floor timbers would work as the wood and fastenings aged.
That was happening for a long time, and Carl must have been aware of the
problem, so how could he or the engineers who converted his designs into
molds and boats have under-built the mast step? I just don't get it!!!
Everything else on the boat is so nice and heavy, but the rudder gooseneck,
and the mast step are too light. I guess we're all only human.
At least our boats don't break in half like poor John Bertrand's 1995
Australian America's Cup boat.  I felt so bad for him.  If you haven't read
his book, 'Born to Win', about 1983, read it.  Best racing book I've read.
Good photos, too.
Lee