[alberg30] Winterizing A-4 and othe rthings.

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Oct 26 03:59:42 PDT 1999

George - regarding chargers - I have had a West Marine isolated automatic
charger on Brigadoon II for three years. She was last out of the water in
the spring and I could detect no electrolysis, though of course that is a
possibility. My understanding is that if the charger is isolated by a
transformer, no problem exists. Am I wrong?  Is there a way to test for
leakage currents? If the main switch is "off is the system not isolated from
the water?
    A couple of years ago a friend visited and when he plugged in to my pier
power his polarity alarm went off. Since then I have reversed the leads from
the pier to my panel in the house. I hope that corrects that problem, though
I do not know whether it was simply that his boat and my pier "disagreed" or
whether the pier was hooked up wrong in a generic sense.

    I now have one of the Schumacher 1 1/2 amp maintenance chargers ($24.95
at Wal-Mart) on the battery on the little outboard. There is no metal in the
water when the engine is tilted up, as I always leave it, so I do not think
I have a problem there.

                        - Gordon White