[alberg30] hatch

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Oct 26 08:04:06 PDT 1999

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

The old pressure alcohol stoves can be a problem.  They're much
like Swedish backpacking gas stoves.  You have to preheat the
burners just the right amount.  A friend who is a marine insurance
agent says they are responsible for most of the sailboat fires.

We finally junked ours after water sat in it one winter and corroded
it.  We now use a one-burner portable propane stove.  These take
8 oz. butane canisters (which we store above-decks).  The canisters
are expensive in the boat stores, but I've found them about $2 each
in Chinese groceries.

This stove is hotter, more convenient, and safer than the old
alcohol stove.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/