[alberg30] hatch

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Tue Oct 26 15:17:29 PDT 1999

Funny you should ask as I just measured the hatch so I can make a replacement. I have the measurements and a full size template for the front and back. The end of the side rails match the outboard profile of the front and back sides.I was going to make teak front, back and sides with a laminated center curved to match the front piece but lower as in the original. I have now started to think about a smoked plexiglass center in a teak frame! I can send you the dimensions, plus a tracing of the template, but check your companionway as widths varied slightly with age, date of manufacture, and mast compression. My boat has a sea hood and the hatch slides under that when open. What's your hull number?

I have also pulled the GM25 and am rebuilding it this winter. Since I can't find any mechanics who will touch it in this area. I'll just have to learn to do it myself. I got an Atomic 4 Service and Overhaul Manual from a friend with a Contest 30, and most seems to also apply to the GM25 with the exception of valve clearances etc. which are in the GM book. Interesting enough, the GrayMarine 25 is 91 cubic inches displacement with 25 HP, but the Atomic 4 is 64 cid with 30Hp (also runs at higher rpm.)  Hmmmm..... if I shave the head, port and polish, stellite valve seats, 3/4 grind cam, dual webers and a blower, I could get say 100 HP out of it. Water skiing anyone?

Gonna be a busy winter.

Alan
Andante #152 (1965)