[alberg30] My boat creeks, among other things

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Oct 27 10:57:28 PDT 1999

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

Joe,

I'd bet that your deck creaks do indicate delamination.  That's not
necessarily a problem, but I'd keep an eye on things.  I'm in the
process of recoring sections of deck that have water infiltration.
In some places, I've found dry delaminated core that was laid up
with insufficient bonding.  Some of the balsa was slightly cupped
and only bonded on two edges.  These areas sounded bad, but weren't
any worse than when the boat was new and weren't getting any worse.
I laid up new glass on them, anyway.  When I get done, Calypso will
definitely be stronger than when new.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/