[alberg30] Winterizing A-30

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 29 17:08:40 PDT 1999

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Matthew.

I agree with Russ about covering your boat. Severe damage can occur. A
fellow at my club (near Ottawa) bought a boat for real cheap because the
previous owner had not covered the boat. The cockpit had been severely
damaged by ice. He repaired it himself and now has a fine boat.

You may get away with not covering your boat for several winters but all it
takes is the right (or should I say wrong) combination of snow, rain and
weather
to do the damage. As an extreme example: Winter 98 in Montreal, almost one
week of freezing rain, previous accumulations of snow + the rains, some
boats got too heavy, the cradles just let go. I don't know if well tarped
boats faired any better than untarped ones but every little bit helps I'm
sure.

As Russ said: "Pay me now, or pay me later."

I always dismast and put the tarp over the mast. I also remove the stanchion
posts, that way the tarp won't get punctured as the snow weighs down on the
tarp and also makes it more difficult for snow to stay on the tarp because
of the sharper incline.

Cheers,
Guy
Cyrena #466