[alberg30] Cooking Stoves

Michael Stephano mundo at visi.net
Sun Oct 31 06:01:30 PST 1999

From: "Michael Stephano" <mundo at visi.net>

Two days ago I had a fire on board. My much loved Shipmate Pressure Kerosene
stove burst into flames. Fortunately the only damage was to the stove and my
ego. It seems there was a small leak going to the oven and it got the oven
insulation wet.  After repairing the fitting I lit  the oven. As the heat
built white smoke was coming from the many vents around the box. I assumed
because kerosene is light that it would evaporate/ burn out of the
insulation. At some point I heard a wosh sound and turned to see what
appeared to be 12 tiny flames . As there was nothing close to burn I figured
it would be a matter of a few minutes till the excess kero burned off. So I
let it burn while I stood buy with a wet towel and a fire extinguisher. Then
it started getting hot enough for the flames to draw air turbo style and all
of a sudden I had 12 blow torches going. At this point I turned everything
off and covered the fuel line with a wet towel. I attempted to put the
flames out with the extinguisher but it had no effect as the fire was deep
inside. I then poured water on the stove surface to reduce the heat which
worked. Then I dropped a wet towel across the whole thing and smothered
it.Well the cabin was covered with fire extinguisher stuff and smells like
kero fumes. I took the stove, tank, lines, Spare parts and anything related
to the stove and put them on the dock. I promptly drove down to Norfolk and
bought a 2 burner Origo. I have to say it is a nice little stove and I
picked up a bunch of space that the shipmate clogged. I used the new stove
last night for the first time to perk a pot of coffee ( the test) and it
cooked faster than the Shipmate did. I will be leaving Nov.3 for a one month
cruise around the bay and am happy to have something new on board that
works........

Michael Stephano (Cape Dory 30 Ketch "Mia Xapa")
Hopkins & Bro. &
The Eastern Shore Steamboat Co. Restaurant
Onancock, Va.

http://members.visi.net/~mundo/html