[alberg30] Winterizing A-30

Matthew Wynn mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 31 17:07:06 PST 1999

From: Matthew Wynn <mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca>

Thanks everybody for the response on winterizing cockpit/deck drains.

	You've convinced me to stick with a cover. Last winter was the first
one we owned Tazar #424 so having a lot of work to do we covered her for
the winter. I built a number of rafters out of 2"X3" and then placed
them on the deck and connected them with 1"x3" strapping. The rafters
hung over the rail far enough to allow air to circulate and keep the
tarp from beating on the toe rail and topsides. There was room enough to
stand up in the cockpit and crawl fore and aft on deck. I put fish
netting over the tarp to try and keep the tarp from self destructing
during those midwinter nor'easters. Everything was tied down to the
cradle/trailer with about a zillion feet of rope reminiscent of a spider
web. Needless to say it was a time consuming effort and plastic tarps
don't seem to be a great idea as by spring they were starting to leak a
little bit by spring and probably won't last another winter.

	A lot of boats do go uncovered for the winter around N.S. We had a
Tanzer 22 for 15 years and only covered the first year as the cover did
more damage beating the topsides then leaving it uncovered. After that
year we just shovled the snow every time it snowed. We also gave it a
good cleaning and waxing both fall and spring. However it was a less
complex boat than the A-30.

	Charles! - small world. I too was raised in New Glasgow. We moved back
to the area about 8 years ago and live about 7 miles outside of town in
Woodburn which is situated on the Black Hall Gut at the west end of
Merigomish Harbour. The trip you describe sounds very similar to the one
Bill Tedesco - Ruah #421 is taking. I believe he started in Lake
Champlain, wintered over in Pictou last winter and is wintering over on
the Bras D'or lakes or Halifax this winter and then on to NYC the Hudson
etc. He was restricted to only 2 weeks this year and I tried to connect
with him in Pictou but apparently missed him by just hours.

	Matthew Wynn
	Tazar #424