[alberg30] On changing to fully battened main

Chester & Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Thu Oct 7 20:18:23 PDT 1999

From: "Chester & Jan Koop" <cjk at tir.com>

Lee,
 The process was more involved than I have indicated previously mainly
because it was a trial and error process motivated by a desire to save a few
bucks.  First I had a new fully battened main made and reinstalled it using
the original thin metal sail track and slides.  When the binding slides
interfered with dropping the main, I had the sail maker install an
inexpensive ($400) car system (Flying Dutchman).  This system helped
somewhat but still did not allow one to cleanly drop sail (even when dead
into the wind).  It was however, poorly designed (I my opinion) for oval
sectioned masts and relieved on a primitive mechanism for maintaining proper
tension on the bat cars.  It was difficult to attain and maintain the proper
tension.  This prompted my decision to go with the Harkin system.  Having
installed a Harkin traveler, I knew this would eliminate the all the
problems. At this point I was tired of "saving money" and just wanted to a
good system that would work whatever the cost.

Now the main now goes up and down like greased lighting even when not dead
into the wind.  It allows for easy reefing and good sail shape on either the
first or second reef. Maintaining good sail shape has a positive impact on
heeling effects and windward ability.

Another advantage of a fully batten main is the elimination of the flappin'
leech and the associated noise when coming about/heading up into the wind.
This also has the effect of reducing wear and tear on the leech and bat
pockets

Yes I would go with a fully batten main if I had to do it over again, I
would however, probably go with one of the newer, less expensive options.
However, at the time I made the decision to go with Harkin there were less
options out there than there are now.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445

.