[alberg30] Wind vane steering

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Mon Oct 18 10:09:40 PDT 1999

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

Go Yves Gelinas has a nice page where he discusses the various types of
self-steering, including the auxiliary rudder type. Its particularly
valuable  for A30 owners because he tried some other types of vanes on the
A30, and reports the results:

"This auxiliary rudder self-steerer is still in use today (Hydrovane,
Auto-Helm, RVG...). I tried it, and I found that its action is slow and its
efficiency decreases as the seas increase. It is more difficult, but also
more efficient to maintain a yacht on course with her own rudder."

Of course, he does want you to buy his system-but he has been there and done
that, with a vengenance.

http://www.capehorn.com/ygselfst.htm <http://www.capehorn.com/ygselfst.htm>
for the disccusion on various vane types, http://www.capehorn.com/ for his
home page.