rudder shoe

Tue Sep 14 18:42:43 PDT 1999

> Bill DeWitt said:
>
> As I have (our just acquired) 'Simple Gifts' #249 in the yard I can measure
> that height tomorrow and let you know. Does anyone know what's to be done
> with beheaded fasteners that afix the shoe at the base of the rudder to the
> keel? On each lateral edge they are headless within the countersunk
> aperture. The aft one appears to be neither a screw or bolt??  The joint of
> the shoe  to the keel shows a slight hairline fissure...help...thanks..

Bill

The ones on the sides should be flat-head slotted screws.  Even if
they're intact, I'd bet the slots are filled with paint.  The aft
one should be a hex bolt.

You can probably cut a new slot in the machine screws, if you have
to.  If not, you could drill them out (the minimum amount necessary)
and, after pulling the shoe, grab the stub with vice-grips to remove
them.  The same will work on the aft shoe.

Use bronze bolts when you put them back in.  Stainless will get
crevice corrosion there.  Bruce Rankin recommends bedding with 3M
5200.  You can always use a propane torch to heat the shoe and
soften the caulk when you need to remove it.  In fact, you might need
to do that this time.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/