[alberg30] chainplate bolts

Mon Sep 20 06:14:49 PDT 1999

Bill,

Further to what John said, Bruce Rankin did some calculations
and found that the chainplate bolts were about half the strength
of the rest of the rig.  He wrote this up in an article (now in
the maintenance manual) suggesting either doubling the number of
1/4" bolts or increasing the size to 5/16".  In either case, make
sure you use shanked bolts, not ones threaded all the way down.
The threads make a 1/4" bolt effectively a 3/16" one in strength.
And, don't forget the backstay.  It's the same sort of arrangement.

When you do the job, check the attachment points for rot.  Chainplates
tend to leak for a long time before being noticed.  I used Rule
Elastomeric caulk and like the way it worked.  It stays soft and
rubbery.  I just did this job last winter, though, so time will
tell.

As for gooseneck rivets, well, John was racing my boat when all
five rivets sheared at once.  It was a close call that no one
was injured.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/