[alberg30] Lectrasan MSD

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Sep 1 18:19:47 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Gee we've had holding tank, no discharge laws for years, seems perfectly
reasonable to me, in fact I can't believe that any place on earth would
allow raw discharge.

Get after your legislators to require all marinas and yacht clubs to
have pump out facilities, I mean you can't operate a restaurant without
wash room facilities, apply the same principle.

The world will definitely be a better place for it.

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65

Robert E Johns wrote:

> From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>
>
> >From: RABBIT649 at aol.com
> >
> >Dear George,
> >    I have a RARITAN Lectrasan somebody gave me that I havn't installed yet.
> >It zaps the waste with about 50 amps for three minutes and is supposed to
> >convert it to be legal for discharge in some places. Do you know where and
> >where not? I forgot what the guy told me.
> >Paul,
> >Ashwagh #23
>
> Paul,
>
> We installed a Lectrasan after we bought Wind Call in 1976. It involved
> rebuilding the head area including moving the panel inboard an inch or two
> and using two doors instead of three. We got rid of it a few years ago when
> more and more places we cruise became no discharge areas. We installed a 9
> gallon holding tank in the space where the Lectrasan was, again having to
> rebuild the head. The 9 gallon size is too small, but I didn't want to
> install a holding tank under the forward berths or use a flexible tank. We
> end up causing more pollution than we ever did with the Lectrasan because
> many areas don't have pumpout stations and when we dump the tank, it is
> raw, though macerated, sewage. We have stopped the long cruises because of
> medical problems, but our cruising area was from Long Island Sound north.
> The most prominent place to go to no discharge is Block Island, and they
> really do enforce it, but more and more smaller places have gone no
> discharge and it is obvious the the handwriting is on the wall. There is no
> reasonable answer.
>
> Regards,
>         Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397

> ONElist:  the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
> CONNECT to people with the same interests.

ONElist:  home to the world's liveliest email communities.