[alberg30] Lectrasan MSD

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 21:56:20 PDT 1999

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Yes, John, it's reasonable for weekend cruises, but 9-10 gallons is not
enough for much longer.
The Lectrasan does NOT dump, in your words, "raw sewage". After treatment, it
is bacteriologically clean and completely biodegradeable. Disallowing it and
going to "no discharge" is largely a "knee-jerk" reaction from people who
won't study or don't understand the facts and figures. And if it results in
people dumping raw sewage anyway because they're up to their eyeballs in it,
it is counterproductive.
Regards,
Paul
Ashwagh #23

sunstone at idirect.com writes:

> From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>
>
>  Gee we've had holding tank, no discharge laws for years, seems perfectly
>  reasonable to me, in fact I can't believe that any place on earth would
>  allow raw discharge.
>
>  Get after your legislators to require all marinas and yacht clubs to
>  have pump out facilities, I mean you can't operate a restaurant without
>  wash room facilities, apply the same principle.
>
>  The world will definitely be a better place for it.
>
>  John Birch, Sunstone KC-65
>

>  Robert E Johns wrote:
>  >
>  > From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>
>  >
>  > >From: RABBIT649 at aol.com
>  > >
>  > >Dear George,
>  > >    I have a RARITAN Lectrasan somebody gave me that I havn't installed
> yet.
>  > >It zaps the waste with about 50 amps for three minutes and is supposed
>  > >convert it to be legal for discharge in some places. Do you know where
> and
>  > >where not? I forgot what the guy told me.
>  > >Paul,
>  > >Ashwagh #23
>  >
>  > Paul,
>  >
>  > We installed a Lectrasan after we bought Wind Call in 1976. It involved
>  > rebuilding the head area including moving the panel inboard an inch or
two
>  > and using two doors instead of three. We got rid of it a few years ago
> when
>  > more and more places we cruise became no discharge areas. We installed a
9
>  > gallon holding tank in the space where the Lectrasan was, again having to
>  > rebuild the head. The 9 gallon size is too small, but I didn't want to
>  > install a holding tank under the forward berths or use a flexible tank.
We
>  > end up causing more pollution than we ever did with the Lectrasan because
>  > many areas don't have pumpout stations and when we dump the tank, it is
>  > raw, though macerated, sewage. We have stopped the long cruises because
of
>  > medical problems, but our cruising area was from Long Island Sound north.
>  > The most prominent place to go to no discharge is Block Island, and they
>  > really do enforce it, but more and more smaller places have gone no
>  > discharge and it is obvious the the handwriting is on the wall. There is
> no
>  > reasonable answer.
>  >
>  > Regards,
>  >         Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR. Apply online today!