[alberg30] pumpouts

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Sep 4 06:21:31 PDT 1999

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   I have a neighbor who runs a marina, unfortunately on the Rappahannock River,
three miles by road but 25 by water from me. He installed a pumpout station,
with a little state money (not enough to cover but about half the cost) and
charges $5 US per pump. It costs him $4 US to dispose of the average pumpout's
sewage. It has to be pumped from his tank into a honey wagon and hauled away,
plus he has to pay for the operator(s), the electricity, maintenance, etc. So in
the end he loses money on the thing, plus has the headaches it involves. He
writes it off as the cost of doing business, but it is hardly a money-maker. I
think he is restricted to what he can charge by the rules under which he got the
subsidy payment.
    It is obviously an imperfect solution...
                                    - Gordon White A-275

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.