[alberg30] Teak for A30 Hatches

JANET LEMBO jlsasha at erols.com
Thu Sep 23 16:06:38 PDT 1999

From: JANET LEMBO <jlsasha at erols.com>

Joe Tokarz wrote:

> From: alberg30 at interactive.net (Joe Tokarz)
>
> Does anyone in the Annapolis area have a suggestion on a place to buy teak?
> I am replacing the wood inlays in my hatches and I plan to use teak strips
> about 1/8" thick and 2-3" wide. I plan to cut the teak strips from stock,
> maybe a 4"x4", on a table saw. I will embed the teak in the hatches using
> epoxy mixed with the dark West System pigment/filler.
>
> Who has teak in stock like that?
>
> Thanks in advance;
>
> Joe #499
> One Less Traveled
>
> Joe,

Siewers Lumber in Richmond (804-358-2103) carries teak, mahogany and
lots of other beautiful woods. The teak is usually 5/4 and 6 to 10
inches wide. $14. a board foot . I redid the cockpit covers this year
they came out great. I routered out the old plywood. filled with
lightweight epoxy and epoxied in 1/2" teak strips 2 to 3 inches. I tried
sealing with teak oil but it did not hold up very well. I then tried
star brite teak oil tropical teak color. What a difference whatever the
make it out of Im sold . I sanded out the toe rails and did those too.
Nest the rest of the topside. Im not a varnisher.. good luck, If i can
be of help ask away..

Joel.  #449 (Janus)

                 http://www.onelist.com/ad/gator1