[alberg30] Rudder shaft bearing, A TEFLON SOLUTION

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Fri Sep 24 06:31:17 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

Joseph;
I have very successfully used mechanical teflon sheeting as a shim stock
in the intermediate rudder strap on my A-37.   In my case I used 1/32"
sheeting, cut it to fit completely around the post and clamped the strap
back over it (it is in two halves) which sandwiched the teflon and held
it in place.

I did the the same thing to the rudder shoe as I had a 1/16" play in the
shaft or near enough.

It has worked great, the play has so far not returned and the cost was
infinitesimal.  Go to a good plastics supplier or one that makes
mechanical bearings and buy a sq. foot of teflon sheeting stock in the
thickness needed.

To determine the thickness measure your side to side play with the boat
out of the water and divide that number in 2, that will be the thickness
you need as it goes completely around the post and the lower pin.

You will have enough shim stock to last you a lifetime, should it ever
need replacing and no risk of electrolytic corrosion nor wear of the
bronze unlike some other plastics which can abrade metal.

That's my experience anyway.

Cheers,

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65

Joseph Fleming wrote:

> From: Joseph Fleming <joseph-fleming at usa.net>
>
> Does anyone have a souce for the middle rudder shaft bearing?   I
> understand that a worn bearing here can cause quite a lot of noise and
> vibration.
>
> Thanks much...Joe Fleming

Share your special moments with family and friends- send PHOTO Greetings
at Zing.com! Use your own photos or choose from a variety of funny,
                 cute, cool and animated cards.