[alberg30]

sunstone sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Sep 29 08:28:43 PDT 1999

From: sunstone <sunstone at idirect.com>

John;
I was formerly a big fan of Autohelm but recently they have been
eclipsed by NAVICO (or what is now SIMRAD/NAVICO as SIMRAD maker or
Robertson Pilots has bought out NAVICO).   SIMRAD/NAVICO units are more
powerful, faster response times, consume the same or less power
(depending on the model), and are reliable.

Whatever unit you choose I would suggest you size it to the lower end of
the range scale, i.e. it is better to go up one size than to use a pilot
that is struggling because it is too close to the boats 8000lb
displacement as the max. size.

Use displacement figures, rather than L.O.A. to determine the correct
size.

As I have moved to a A-37 my new SIMRAD/NAVICO Pilot, a WP30 (WP300), is
a cockpit wheel mount that blows the Autohelm 4000 out of the water and
easily handled broad reaching in 25 knots with large quartering seas,
repeatedly this summer in Lake Ontario.   The wave frequency is much
shorter on the Great Lakes, yet 6 - 9 footers are not uncommon, giving
the pilot a hard work out, possibly as hard as ocean seas which, though
bigger, are longer in wave period or frequency.

Bottom line my friend Harry in his A-30 was with us mid lake with his
new Autohelm 1000 which melted the solder on a resistor and packed in
forcing him to hand steer 30 miles in the above named conditions this
Summer.   Though we were able to fix it at anchorage the next day, good
grief, my SIMRAD was not even warm to the touch.

For Tiller Pilots You have a choice of SIMRAD TP10 (TP100), TP20
(TP200), TP30 (TP300)  the TP20 or TP30 would be my choice with my bias
going to the TP30 as the faster, more powerful unit.

The models in brackets are the old NAVICO, pre buyout model numbers,
they were all redesigned about 2 years age and are well rated by
Practical Sailor.  West Marine still has some in stock, they're the same
critter I believe.

WWW.SIMRAD.COM

Good luck,

John Birch, Sunstone KC-65, ex Wind Rose KC-544

John Brugeman wrote:

> From: "John Brugeman" <johnbrugeman at ameritech.net>
>
> Would like to install an autotiller on my Mermaid and would like to know
> what kind to install and any hints as to the installation.  Anything would
> be appreciated.

     GET 2 FREE MUSIC CDS AND LOWER YOUR PHONE BILL!  ACT NOW!
Sign up for Qwest long distance at Shopnow.com and receive 2 free music
CDs, huge savings on long distance, plus special deals! Expires 9/30!