[alberg30] Cockpit locker hatch covers, old design

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 12:34:47 PDT 1999

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Shawn,
You asked about making the old design cockpit locker hatch covers water tight?
One of the improvements  I like in the 'new' boats is the cockpit locker
hatch covers. They really are better than the old simple lid design of the
original. But we have to deal with it.
I had to make new lids for Stargazer, and looked long and hard at a way to
make them as water tight as I could.  An idea has occured to me now, months
after I built them.
I am going to route out a groove on the underside of the lid, directly over
the inner lip of the waterway molded into the cockpit seat where the lid
closes. Into this groove, I'll glue weatherstripping.
This is the best I can come up with. It has to be better than simply having
the wood sitting against the inside of the waterway, which has to leak if
significant water gets into the cockpit when the boat is heeled over.  I
can't implement the plan this season, but if you wait till next season, I'll
tell you how it worked!!.
Lee
Stargazer #255

Congratulations to The Fiction Writer. Our latest ONElist of the Week.
For full story and to submit yours, go to