[alberg30] Winch grease

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Tue Apr 11 18:57:18 PDT 2000

Over the years I have always used wheel bearing grease, and have on
ocassion, used heavy duty...The secret is to thoroughly clean the winches
and bearings with a solvent, then CLEAN THEM WITH HOT SOAPY WATER, RINSE IN
CLEAN WATER AND IMMEDIATELY LIGHTLY BLOW THEM DRY or using a lint free rag,
dry them and air dry them.  If you just use gasoline or an organic solvent
to clean the bearings and winch internals new grease will not always adhere
well if there is an organic film on the parts.  Never used compressed house
air on bearings since it could contaminate the bearings with hard dirt
particles that could accelerate wear on the bearings and mating parts...

Scott Wallace

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Gail's in the process of cleaning and repacking the winches.
> The only grease I have on hand is some boat trailer wheel
> bearing grease.  Do you think this is too heavy?  What's
> your favorite winch grease?
>
>  - George

> Do you play golf?  Check out Chipshot.com to
> find everything you need to enjoy the game of golf

Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
Click here for more details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/3011/5/_/476031/_/955504658/