[alberg30] Permanent Moorings

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 12:32:08 PDT 2000

Hey Brian,
Setting up a permanent mooring is somethng you want to get right the first
time!!!!!
Chapman's book on seamanship has a good section on setting up a mooring, (at
least my edition from the '80s does) as to chain thickness, swivel location,
mushroom weight, etc. Always grease the shackle pins at their threads before
you tighten them down for the last time; it will save you tremendous effort
at seasons end if you have to open them. The grease will not prevent you from
tightening the pin down safely, or increase the chance that the pin will work
itself loose over the season; just the opposite actualy, because the greased
threads can be tightened more easily.   Without the grease there, often in
one season the threads will rust in place so badly that you will just have to
cut the shackle with a saw. Also, use good monel seizing wire to seize the
shackle pins in place. Make sure you have at least 3 or 4 thickness' of the
seizing wire passing through the eye of the shackle pin, and that those turns
are tight.  Then,when turning the wire back on itself to secure it, A) do not
overtighten those closing turns of the wire, so they will not snap, and B)
bury the end of the twisted wires back on itself as best you can, so it will
not foul anything, or cut you as you work on the shackle or chain.
There are as many opinions on setting up the bowlines, or the actual rope
that comes aboard to secure the boat to the mooring as there are sailors!!
Having once rowed out to a  32' sloop on the fourth day of a howling, North
East early fall North Wester to find 5 out of 6 strands of the one and a
quarter inch nylon three strand lines of the bowlines completely chaffed
through (!), I learned that all else being equal, it is chaffe of the
bowlines that is the most frequent reason for the boat ending up on the beach!
Ever since that day, what I have done for my boat, and helped friends do for
theirs is the following;
First, get a bouy that allows the chain to come up through it's center, and
then the bowlines are attched by shackle to the chain above the water.  This
prevents barnacles from growing on the bowlines, and subsequently chaffing
the lines.  Also, barnacles and mussels growing on the bouy will not be able
to chaffe the lines, which I think is the most common problem. This is where
the chaffe occured on that 32 footer's bowlines.  Even if you paint the bouy
and the lines with anti foulling paint, by midseason, or seasons end when the
fall storms begin, there will be barnacles and mussels present.
Even though I have the bowlines attached to the top of the bouy, to be extra
safe, I dont just run chaffing hose on the bowlines where they pass through
the chocks on deck; I fit good hose over the entire length of the bowlines,
from the bouy shackle, to just short of the bowline eyes that go over the
deck cleat.  This serves two purposes; the obvious one is that the line will
not be chaffed anywhere along its length. the second advantage is that being
stiffer than line alone, the hose and rope will not be able to wrap around
the bouy, and chaffe.
Another common chaffe point is at the very bottom of the bowlines, where the
line passes around the thimble. What  I have done is to slit the bouy end of
the hose lengthwise, on the 'inside' of the curve formed as the hose is bent
around the line and thimble. The length of this slit is such that it will
allow the hose to wrap around and cover the thimble, and go back up above the
thimble at least 5 or  6 inches. This extra 'tail' on the hose will allow it
to be fastened securely in place. The inside 'lips' of the slit may have to
be trimmed alittle to allow it all to fit together.   I tape the hose in
place with very tough packing tape, and then sieze it all together with light
line. This increases the diameter of the thimble and splice, obviously, and
so requires a larger, and thus more expensive  shackle on the mooring chain,
but I think it is well worth it.
Since the bowlines are above the water, I use stainless steel thimbles at the
bowlines spliced eyes at the bouy shackle.  After all the work you will have
done in making these bowlines, it would be a shame to have galvanised
thimbles rust out after a couple of seasons, in which case you have to either
splice up new eyes if the bowlines are long enough to allow a new eye to be
spliced in, or chuck the otherwise good lines, and start all over.  Splicing
a new eye into weathered nylon line is not easy, either.
the last consideration is the length of the bowlines.  Some people seem to
feel that long bowlines give the entire mooring rig more scope. A) I don't
think that is true.  Increased scope decreases the angle of the mooring chain
with bottom, as measured at the anchor on the bottom. The length of the
mooring chain, between the anchor and the bouy, is the determining factor for
this angle.  You can lengthen or shorten the bowlines all you want, without
affecting the angle of the chain at the anchor on the bottom.  The only way
that the bowline length would affect that angle is if the bouy is pulled
under the water by the force of the boat pulling back on the mooring line,
and thus straightening out the entire mooring line, chain plus bowlines.  If
the bouy is big enough to hold up the chain as it is supposed to do, its
bouyancy would be too great to allow this affect to be very helpfull.
B)The other disadvantage of long bowlines, is that the longer they are, the
more likely they will wrap around the mooring chain or bouy, and chafe. Thus,
I measure my line for the bowlines by the distance from the cleat on the deck
to the chocks, then the height of the freeboard at the bow, plus the length
of line I will need to make proper eyesplices at both ends, and then an
additional two or three feet for a small boat, and four to six feet for a
large boat, to allow for pitching of the boat
Is it alot of work to make bowlines like this?  Yes.  I like to splice, so it
doesn't bother me.  The most difficult part is bending and attaching the
hose at the bottom, thimballed splice.  But if you do this, you will have
bowlines that can virtualy last forever, with the only 'maintainance' being
replacing the seizing and tape or whatever is used to keep the hose in place
where it wraps back around the thimble splice at the mooring end. No matter
what you do, there is going to be chaffe at that point, but if you keep ahead
of it, the siezing and the tape will be damaged, and not the hose, or the
line that you are protecting.
the last question; one or  two bowlines? Ie; one extra heavy line, or two
slightly lighter lines? Again, a personal choice, it seems.  I have always
gone with two bowlines, figuring A) two lines will keep a more symetrical
hold on the boat, and maybe reduce her 'sailing' back and forth on the
mooring, and B) Considering Murphy's law, which  always applies on boats, I
figure two lines have to be safer than just one.
One last consideration; If the bowline and it's hose are too big to fit into
the forward chocks, a common problem on production boats in whch chocks that
are too small are installed, you can either put in bigger chocks, or, bring
the bowlines on deck on either side of the forstay, and make them fast to the
mooring cleats.  Then, tie the two bowlines together with a good line, just
outboard of the forstay. Quarter inch line is good for this, as it's small
diameter will allow you to wrap it around the bowlines tightly, and tie a
good square knot in.  Make this line long enough, and you can use it's tail
to tie over the bowlines on the cleats as the saftey line, to keep the heavy
diameter line from popping off the cleat as the boat pitches.
I know, I spend too much time thinking about these things; :),but I hope this
helps.
Lee
Stargazer #255

Bids starting at $7 for thousands of products - uBid.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/3027/5/_/476031/_/956864018/