[alberg30] Topsides

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Thu Aug 3 05:51:11 PDT 2000

John:  One of my dockmates at Goderich painted his C&C29 using the roll and tip method last year.  In my opinion his results are mixed.  The colour (blue) turned out very well and is even throughout.  From 100 feet away (out of the water) the hull looks good.  As you come closer to the boat you begin to see the lack of high lustre that results from not having an absolutely smooth finish.  I am not sure if his result is because of his method or just the type of finish.  I know that I have seen brush jobs (not marine) that have been perfect (depends a lot on the way the paint is thinned, etc.).  When I was a kid I knew a Belgian car painter who worked in a body shop in Europe.  He said all cars were handpainted by brush and looked just as good as spray so I think is can be done with enough practice.  I would be tempted to practice on a few large panels to get the technique and the figure out the proper consistency.
Peter Hay