[alberg30] Re:Painting topsides

dick dickdurk at intercom.net
Fri Aug 4 05:34:31 PDT 2000

John

I've painted Checkmate twice now with interlux linear urethane using the
roll/tipout method (the first application lasted over 10 years). I don't
intend doing anything else except that way-but then, I am not a
perfectionist-if it looks good from 30 feet away, I am happy.

1. I painted gloss black-the darker the color, the more critical the
application. Surface prep. is the most critical and next time, i'm going to
look into getting  some     sort of long, semiflexible board for wet sanding
prior to the finish coat.

2. Think of the stuff as being 3 part-reducer is needed to flow out the
brush marks. I used the dingy to get the proportions right as far as flow
properties of the paint. air temperature, humidity, sunny or shady side all
affect the amount of reducer used. The goal is to flow out brush marks
without the paint sagging on the vertical sections. Don't judge your work
until after about 15-30 minutes.

3. plan on it being a two person job-work right at the wet edge-and don't go
back for touching up.

4.It goes against my sense of tradition to use foam brushes, but in this
case, I think they really work best. You need to use the ones especially for
linear urethanes because the solvent attacks the glue used to hold the foam
to the stick on the regular ones (sounds like experience talking, doesn't it
? :)

5. Minor sagging can be removed after drying with fine grit wet sanding.
800-1200 grit or so.

I suppose this all looks daunting, but if taken step at a time, you end up
with a $2,000 paint job for a cash outlay of $150.00. What's not to like? ;)

Michael
Checkmate #220

Take Control of Your Browser with NeoPlanet now!  Download Free Now!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7677/10/_/476031/_/965391895/