[alberg30] Rough idle

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Fri Aug 11 06:29:33 PDT 2000

Peter
My M4-30 also runs rough and begins to shake if the throttle is cut to the minimum.  One of these days I am going to adjust the linkage and injector pump so that it cannot be cut back that far.  I have a David Brown (you are probably familiar with them as they are an British tractor) diesel tractor on my farm and you cannot cut it back far enough to make it run rough.
That dipstick is a pain.  I usually stick my left hand back there and put a finger on the hole and then use the dipstick to find the finger.
By the way; although diesels lug well (going at low revs) Universal recommends that these small diesels be run in their optimum output range.  I like to run mine about 2000 which gives 4.5 knots.  If I run up to 3000 my knotmeter shows 7 knots and the boat is really moving.  The engine will comfortable do 3400 but my prop noise (cavitation) above 2000 is uncomfortable so I only rev up when weather is heavy.
How is your noise level?  You say you have a 3 blade--what is the size and pitch?
I do not have the Admiral panel but I do have a very long wiring harness (one only) so moving the gauges should be simple.  I will have to provide longer wires from the starting control if I move them aft.
Peter Hay
KC384