[alberg30] Rub Rail

jpgrathwol at aol.com jpgrathwol at aol.com
Wed Aug 23 07:54:46 PDT 2000

I recently removed, polished and reinstalled my stainless steel rub rail and
stern rub rails.  I wondered if anyone new of a spray on treatment for the
aluminum piece on the transom.  It seems that this piece is less resistant to
corrosion than the stainless steel and also may be harder to replace.  Can
the corrosion be stopped?  Are there coating which weather well, look good
and don't create a problem worse than the normal weathering?

I also ran into several problems with the rub rail reinstallation: a.) broken
off screws within the hull deck joint and b.) threaded screw holes.  I
unfortunately didn't understand the scope of these problems until I was
trying to screw back on a rail section loaded with goop.  Has experience does
anyone have with these issues?

Finally, last week my wife and I finally got "Dovekie" #88 in the water and
took her on our first two day sails.  My renovations took far longer than I
expected (a.) sanded, repainted the interior, b.) refinished interior
cabinetry, replaced interior hinges, fittings, c.) stripped and refinished
all brightwork with Cetol, d.) stripped, sanded, epoxy filled, sanded and
paid yard for an Imron spray job, e.) even installed new teak eyebrows and
the outboard baseboards to the cockpit coamings).  I am glad to say I am no
longer a boatyard worker but a sailor.  Last weekend our part of Long Island
Sound saw breeze in the 15-20 knot range and our beautiful boat took the
breeze like a champ.  Even without mainsail reefs (I haven't the reinstalled
my reefing hooks yet) and with a jury rigged downhaul of a webbing sail tie
(who knows were my downhaul went?) we had a grand sail with a partially
reefed #1 and full main.  I was thrilled to find that everything I'd
read/heard about the A-30's sailing qualities were true.  We even made it
back to our berth without dinging the new topside paint job.  In all a
wonderful and historic weekend for us and our boat.

John Grathwol
Dovekie, #88

PerformanceDiver.com - Your Dive Store Alternative
http://click.egroups.com/1/7526/10/_/476031/_/967042493/