[alberg30] Re: Cutter Rig

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Sun Aug 20 17:32:41 PDT 2000

This is something I have been looking into also. I want to keep the roller genny, but be able to hoist a small working jib or storm sail to go with a deeply reefed main. The Genoa is worthless when rolled up more than 10%, and the boat doesn't balance well on reefed main alone. Any suggestions? Someone said there is a working jib that fits over the roller genny, like a sleeve. I can't imagine it really working. Anyone heard of it?
#152 Andante

On 8/20/2000 at 3:32 PM Bill Newman wrote:

>Dick, the pad eye on the foredeck is not sufficient to carry the load of
>an inner forestay.  It needs to be attached either to the keel or a
>reinforcing bulkhead.  The main advantage of doing this would be to fly
>a  small staysail in very heavy weather and be better balanced either
>with a deeply reefed main or by itself.  Therefore it needs to be very
>strong or it could lift the deck.  To reconfigure the sail plan to fly
>two headsails would probably give no advantage in speed over a single
>sail.  The Alberg has a relatively small fore triangle.  A boat designed
>as a cutter has the mast stepped further aft. This is my opinion for
>what it's worth.
>
>Bill Newman
>Marion Rose III #233

Remember the good 'ol days