[alberg30] Pearson returns like the Phoenix

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Thu Dec 7 20:03:21 PST 2000

News received on the Pearson list server about the return of Pearson
Yachts as a subsidiary of TPI, (owned by Everett Pearson, one of the
original co-founders with  cousin, Clint Pearson) seemed to be well
received to see such a good and quality line back online.  A number of
us are disappointed that the first "roll out" will be a power cruiser.
Why?  Business and economic reasons.  A number of years ago I
interviewed Mike Kelsey, CEO of Palmer Johnson of Sturgeon Bay,
Wisconsin for an article about his wooden admiralty launch from the
H.M.S. Hood.  Kelsey said "I love sailing, but with my business
schedules I need reliability to meet my deadlines."  I think that our
society has speeded up over the last twenty years so that we in America
and Canada work harder, longer hours than anywhere else in the world.  A
result of many two income households, (many of us both work one or two
jobs, especially combined with child care!) is LESS LEISURE TIME.
Another issue is proximity to sailing water.  Another post mentioned the
much greater ratio of powerboats to sailboats...should that suprise any
of us?  To run a powerboat requires turning a key, engaging gear and
give her the throttle!
To sail requires studying, developing an unique and wonderful skill on
going, and enough time committed to enjoy and learn...besides we might
not always get back to the dock at the EXACT TIME!

What is the answer?  I for one, think that we need to get off of our
collective duffs and visit schools to discuss sailing, show videos or
slides, get scout groups and community groups interested and involved.
I have a real concern about the increasingly smaller numbers every year
of new sailors entering our magical world.  Encouraging young people to
sail, to get out and enjoy nature, to learn a quiet and strong way of
leadership is to help build and facilitate tomorrow's leaders through
sailing.  If George Bush and Al Gore put as much of their early energies
into sailing and developing life long skills our country might be proud
of the helmsperson at our nation's tiller!  I haven't meant many
crybaby, whiner or bully sailors...I'm sure there are some out there but
I bet they are a small percent of the overall number.

Yes, powerboats may be gaining now because they require little learning
to operate (not safely anyway), make loud and exciting noises, get you
there quickly and back quickly - "Whahhhwazzit we saw?" but when gas
prices go to $5.00 a gallon and a big recession hits, knocking many of
us down the ladder, not up the ladder, we may have more time to spend
learning some very good lessons on the tiller of a sailboat!

Often I think of sailing as an anology to life - be prepared, don't lose
your heart or head - don't be afraid to make mistakes (just don't kill
yourself or others!), help others learn, support their learning and
success, learn how to economize and work with others for a successful
voyage...

Now, if only we could make a $18,000 new TRITON or Bristol 27 :)

Scott Wallace, sailor of HELLDIVER, Bluenose 24

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/1/_/476031/_/976248134/