[Alberg30] Now, you can edit the web site

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Dec 13 17:49:53 PST 2000

Bill,

First of all, you didn't get reinfected with the KAK worm from my
message.  It was sent in text-only mode from a unix system and the
system hosting the mailing list is also unix.  The KAK worm only
affects Windows computers using Microsoft Outlook Express.  It's
transmitted as a script within the HTML portion of a MIMI
multipart-alternative message.

Microsoft has posted a patch that purports to close the security
hole that allows this worm to penetrate your system, but I'm
not sure if it works.   At least, while trying to help others
with this particular worm, I haven't found the patch to be
effective at preventing reinfection.  This is apparently a very
difficult infection to shake.  You may have to delete all of
your mailbox messages and then take all of the corrective action
listed on any of the virus-protection sites.  Reinfections seem to
run rampant.

I can only offer this advice from second-hand experience, so take
it as you will.  I've never been infected with this worm.  I do
not run mail client software that will automatically execute programs
or scripts received via email.  Under Windows, I use Netscape as
my email client and it easily lets you disable javascript for mail
and newsgroups.

Now that we've cleared up the fact that your infection was not caused
by my message and, if you indeed were infected via the mailing list,
it was not the doing of the mailing list but that of some other member's
Outlook Express, you can easily unsubscribe if you wish.  The
instructions
for this are at the bottom of every message, including this one and the
one to which you replied.

Doing a bit of searching, I see that you previously sent an unsubscribe
message to the alberg30 at egroups.com list.  That's a different list and
also searched my archives and I find no sign of the KAK worm in messages
from either list since July 4.  Your reinfection is definitely not
coming
from recent messages on either of these lists.

Good luck.  You're going to have to close the security hole and
completely
eradicate the KAK worm from your machine before you'll find peace.
Fortunately, the KAK worm is not particularly destructive, though it is
a complete nuisance.

 - George

Bill Horton wrote:

> George,
> I just spent a couple of  hours digging all the embedded KAK.hta worm out of
> my computer and your transmission has reinfected my system . Is there any
> way of getting you to take me off your list? I have already requested this
> and thought I would at last be able to get things operable.
>
> What does it take???
>
> Bill Horton

 | Time is running out!  Buy your boat a present by December 21.     |
 | Go to http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066   |
 | and use the new e-coupon code APMK12 for your discount.           |
 |    ==> Fujinon Mariner 7x50 Binoculars -- SPECIAL: $119.00 <==    |