[alberg30] Mad Scientist update- hard dodger

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Sat Feb 26 09:55:23 PST 2000

To the Group:

I still need a good measurement to determine the max height of the hard dodger, so it doesn't interfere with the boom. My mast is currently unstepped, so if anyone has their boat available, I need the following measurement:

Setting the boom as low as it will go on the sail track, and adjusting the main traveler to simulate having the mainsail tightened in all the way, I need the max distance available from the most forward part of the cockpit (the step just before the companionway opening) to the bottom of the boom. Another measurement would also be the max height from the cockpit sole to the bottom of the boom.

I have previously taken some loose measurements around 44" from the cockpit step to the bottom of the boom at the bottom of the sailtrack, but I may have been off. Can anyone confirm this dimension?

Update: having futilely attempted to build a frame-less hard dodger mock-up, I eventually resorted to building the frame, and then bending my pattern around the frame. The result looks really good. But appears conservative on size. Considering my original measurements from some months ago, I am now wondering if I can make the dodger a little bigger. Bigger, I would think is better. More visibility, more room. Unfortunately I don't trust my half-ass measurements from months prior.(I used another Alberg30, that is no longer available.)

Thanks for your help;

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"