[alberg30] small traditional day cruiser

Michael Grosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Wed Feb 2 08:59:11 PST 2000

From: "Michael Grosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>

I am having a problem understanding why anyone would want a full keeled
daysailor. If one is interested in a 18-26' sailboat (either for economics
or convenience) what you are going to get, like it or not, is a daysailor.
Sure on some models you can camp out with a varying degree of discomfort,
but mostly what you want is sailing performance, perhaps with a swing
keel/centerboard arrangement for trailering

May I suggest that the appeal of the Alberg 30 is (other than beautiful
lines) it is the smallest practical size boat that can be cruised (some may
say lived) on. My own thinking is that the A30 is the optimal size for the
Alberg style (although the A37 may take that title) If I wanted a smaller
boat, I would go the J24 route(or equivalent); larger, a cutter rig with
longer waterline and reduced water surface area. In neither of those
categories can a vessel be had for $13-20,000 (I think J boats even used are
more than that). That 30 year old Albergs can still race competitively says
a lot (try that ,J24)

Michael

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
Intro APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.