[alberg30] Heres a great smaller boat...

Michael Grosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Fri Feb 4 08:59:06 PST 2000

From: "Michael Grosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>

>On the Subject ot "transAtlantic boats".  If I recall the smallest
>transatlantic boat was a little under 6",

As it happens, I am now reading this guy's story (Alone Against the
Atlantic, Gerry Spiess 1981, Control Data Publishing)
10' long with 5'6" beam

It may not be the same person you are thinking of, but he is a school
teacher- also, this boat (Yankee Girl) actually sails. There are pictures
and everything. He liked his ordeal so much, apparently he took the same
boat and sailed across the Pacific-editor's note at the end of the book

So, having noted all that, being faced with such...derangement; I find I
must withdraw my observations about full keel daysailors. It's clear people
are going to sail what they perceive as fulfilling regardless of
considerations of practicality, performance, seaworthiness, etc.

I am proud to declare myself a fair weather sailor-hey, it's why I live on
the Chesapeake Bay. That I can be that kind of seaman on an A30-well it's
icing on the cake. Of course, my view may be influenced by my other life of
presently punching tugboats through 6"+ pack ice ;-)

Michael
Checkmate #220

Unique Valentine gifts, available now at eGroups.