[alberg30] Heres a great smaller boat...

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 17:27:52 PST 2000

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Dear Michael,
    The most valuable part of what you've said has to do with the individual
nature of 'fulfillment'.
    Please remember that Sanders initial comments were made as a result of my
asking for suggestions for a boat that would be a smaller, daysailing version
of an Alberg 30.  I do not want to trailer, or ground a boat on a beach and I
don't care for speed and lightning manouvers so much as the occasional
sensation of speed as well as a feeling of being 'well-footed' and balanced
between wind and water. And exploring the different qualities silence aboard.
    Sanders has been most helpful in providing starting points and resources
and to you for helping me to clarify where I am in the process.
    Thank you both.
Regards,
Paul

mgrosh at shore.intercom.net writes:

> From: "Michael Grosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>
>
>  >If by this you mean to imply that full-keeled daysailors are less
practical
>  and seaworthy,
>  I am not implying that
>
>  >poorer performers than their fin-keeled sisters,
>  I am implying that
>
>  >sailors choose them solely for their "fulfilling" (aesthetic?) qualities,
>  My definition of fulfilling is... whatever floats your boat.
>
>  >A full-keeled vessel will be more practical; she will be able to carry
more
>  >weight and still maintain her trim and design waterline.
>  My argument is intended to address more of what the function of a daysailor
>  is...to me, weight carrying ability (again, in a daysailor)is less
important
>  than enjoying the sail (i.e. performance). The ability to store a vessel on
>  a trailer, and to launch it on a mountain lake if so desired, drive the bow
>  up on a deserted island for a family picnic, and yes, to race as a one
>  design in a large class, strikes me as conforming more to what the nominal
>  16-25' boat owner requires
>
>  >  The full-keeled daysailor will almost certainly perform better in higher
>  winds and seas; depending on the design, she may >also perform better in
>  light airs.
>  I see no basis for that statement-properly reefed, a small boat  able to be
>  'worked' through seas , well, the more responsive the rudder is, and the
>  lighter it is(for acceleration) the quicker it will be, and I haven't even
>  addressed planing potential. Physically demanding? Yes. Exhilarating? Yes.
>  Would I want to do it for extended periods of time? No. Park it at the end
>  of the day. That is what a daysailor is. As far as light air
>  performance...for many, many years marine architects have been besotted
with
>  the notion of reduced wetted surface area/better light air performance. I
>  suspect there is more to it than that, but one has to fly in the face of
>  science to discuss it.
>
>  >Anyone familiar with Ted Hood's centerboard hulls -- not full-keeled
boats,
>  but closer in design to a modified full-keel than >to a high-aspect fin
keel
>  The Hood designs I am familiar with are in the area of 50' club
>  cruiser/racers-middle of the range compromise boats(and yes, I know all
>  boats are compromises-I've got a back yard full of proofs :)  I suppose if
>  had $250,000-500,000  in a boat,I would want one that did everything as
well
>  as possible. What I have as a daysailor is a 16' Chrysler Man of War (like
>  Laser)- I can single hand it,and because it is high performance it gives an
>  immediate reward for proper handling-a good platform for kids to learn to
>  sail on, by the way. It won't sink if swamped, and can easily be righted if
>  capsized.
> [...]

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.  Click Here!