[alberg30] Take non A-30 stuff off the list please!

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 17:32:52 PST 2000

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Since I started one of the offending threads with my open question about
smaller keelboats, I guess I should also weigh in (before going back to
"mostly lurking" myself). As you might have guessed, I tend towards Lee's and
Kevin's and John's view: that the POV or perspective or level of interest
differs for each person to the point where narrowly defining the list cannot
work. Certainly, if challenged, a person who starts a thread should be able
to defend the connection, at least from his own point of view. For me, the
connection of smaller traditional keel boats of similar design was in 1) the
large number of successful ones that were actually designed by Carl Alberg
and 2)the possible need of others among the ageing (unfortunate, but
undeniably true!) population of A 30 owners who, like myself, may need to
continue their enjoyment of this sport in a smaller version of an 'Alberg'.
I also know that I have deleted whole threads myself, either because I
already know more than I ever wanted to about that topic, or I find the topic
intrinsically boring (ie. detailed discussions of varnish application being
second only to waiting for the clothes dryer to stop). But I would never
challenge the right of those who relish these things to post them. I will
certainly need their advice one day. I have even been bored enough at times
to question whether I want to continue as part of the A30 family (just as
I've questioned whether I want to continue being a part of mylast word
somewhat disfunctional extended family). But here I am mais ami, n'e ce pas?
    And the most boring thread of all? A list that degenerates to a
discussion of itself as opposed to its topic!
Regards,
Paul Cicchetti
#23 Ashwagh

Sunstone at idirect.com writes:

> From: John Birch <Sunstone at idirect.com>
>
>  I agree Lee, we have a delete button for exactly this purpose. Albergs are
> great
>  boats and their owners disproportionately nice people - let us be a little
> kind.
>
>  I learn things, sometimes in the darndest places, and from people who may
> never
>  have anticipated the impact their story will have or the extrapolations
that
> may
>  be made.
>
>  Cheers, maybe we are all suffering a little cabin fever ; )
>
>  John Birch,
>  Sunstone KC-65
>
>  FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:
>
>  > From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>  >
>  > In a message dated 2/5/00 12:30:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,  writes
>  >
>  >  >With all due respect, I have found myself deleting close to 100% of the
>  >  >A-30 mail in the past few weeks. I -strongly- second the suggestion to
>  >  >limit the discussion (generally at least) to A-30 related topics.
>  >  >Nautical literature and comparisons of other boats are interesting to
>  >  >some, I'm sure, but really they're off topic when they become
protracted
>  >  >discussions in their own right.
>  >
>  >  >Most e-mail programs let you make your own small lists for that sort of
>  >  >purpose. Once you get a thread going, just <reply to all> and everyone
>  >  >on **that** list will get the replies.
>  >
>  >  >George?... as moderator of this list, can you render an opinion on
>  >  >this... maybe I'm out of line here, but I bet I'm not the only one.
>  >
>  > Ohyyy
>  >
>  > If this 'problem' of non A30, but nautical topics appearing on our list
> site
>  > is being put to an informal referendum, then I feel obligated to state my
>  > opinion.
>  >
>  > How long does it take to glance at an entry, see it doesn't interest
you,
> and
>  > delete it?
>  >
>  > For those it does interest, these threads are a way to communicate with
>  > sailors who have common interests, and while away some winter down time.
>  >
>  > For the interested parties to set up a seperate list for each thread, is
>  > obviously impractical.
>  >
>  > >From the numbers of people on the list who are participating, it is
> obvious
>  > that there is interest in these topics, be they good books, other pretty
> keel
> [...]

Shop for your Valentine at eGroups.