[alberg30] Which Winches.

Bob Johns bobjns at nais.com
Mon Feb 7 14:10:50 PST 2000

From: Bob Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

>From: "Michael Grosh" <mgrosh at shore.intercom.net>
>
>I don't think winches are numbered to a common standard-in other words
>harken #28's may not have the same power ratio as Lewmar#28's. If I can
>recall correctly, my boat has Barient #22's. I think I am safe in saying as
>long as you have 2 speeds, you'll be thrilled (and your mate ecstatic) with
>the increase in performance/ease of handling over the standard Merriman's
>
>May I suggest moving the Merriman's aft to do duty as spinnaker winches?
>
>Michael
>Checkmate#220

Hi all.

One thing to keep in mind is that 2 speed winches can break some thing if
you are trying to pull the boat off when you are aground. The 1 speed
Merriman has a mechanical advantage of 8 to 1. If you brace yourself
against the bulkhead you can probably exert a force of 200 pounds This
means that you are putting a force of 1600 pounds on the line. Try
multiplying the MA of a two speed winch by 200! I think my Barients are 28
to 1. If so, that means that I can pull the line with a force of 5600
pounds.

Just a thought.

Bob Johns, Wind Call #397

PS I agree with Michael. They are great.

Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.