[alberg30] Re: beam damage- captains quarters brass plaque

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Mon Feb 7 16:31:14 PST 2000

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at interactive.net>

FYI,Regarding the damage to the support beam:

Close inspection indicates that this damage to the support beam is maybe
from a type of delamination that caused the "gelcoat" on the outside of the
beam to separate from the fiberglass below. This for a later boat, so
sistering the aluminum beam is not a repair option.There appears to have
been a few "pockets" of air or dead space, about the size of a quarter in
two places along the beam. Looks like a layup problem. And this problem has
reoccurred elsewhere but been repaired by someone else years ago, in areas
little structural stress.Still, I have no doubt that as my mast began
sinking a while back, it aggravated this condition, causing the "gelcoat" to
break away.

My repairs to the mast step, ala the 1998 Maintenance Manual have resolved
the structural questions I think.

The wood and brass plaque are cosmetic, of course. Another alternative would
be to fill the damaged areas with epoxy putty, but then I have to match the
liner color, and I don't think it will look much better.

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"