[alberg30] Cutlass Bearing Replacement

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 7 20:48:51 PST 2000

From: David Swanson <zira at mindspring.com>

Jim -

This is pretty straight forward, but not always easy.
1. Remove the propeller.
2. Remove the two small set screws on either side of the stern gland.  You will
need an Allen wrench for this.
3. Fish out the cutlass bearing.  Use a small screwdriver to push through the
water vents at the boat end of the gland, and/or use a pick or punch through
the screw holes.
4. If this doesn't work, you have two options.  Option one is to remove the
propeller shaft from inside the boat, then use a hacksaw blade to carefully cut
through the cutlass bearing in 2 places & collapse it in.  This is the commonly
recommended method.  Option 2 is to remove the stern gland.  It is held on to
the back of the boat with two lag bolts.  Once the gland is off, it is easy to
press out the cutlass bearing & insert a new one.  This is what I did, and it
worked well.

Good luck.

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg30 #229

Jim Rogers wrote:

> From: Jim Rogers <JRogers at scelectric.ca>
>
> Can someone on the list outline the steps required to replace the cutlass
> bearing?
>
> I'm sure someone has done this before, and being a relatively new Alberg 30
> owner I am reluctant to try this on my own.
>
> Jim Rogers
> XANADU II  # 90

> Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple.  Click Here!

Body Paint, Chocolates, & Roses Oh My.