[alberg30] Fiberglass matt & epoxy

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Wed Feb 16 19:49:04 PST 2000

From: Rick Leach <RLeach at mbayaq.org>

Guy,

I have never used mat with epoxy.  All of the literature that I've come
across talks of cloth, though I wouldn't rule out woven roving.  I suppose
that if you're looking high build then heavier cloth is the way to go.  I
think part of the beauty of using mat with polyester is that is promotes a
good bond between the alternate layers of cloth or roving.  But the bonding
characteristics of epoxy are so far superior to polyester that it's a moot
point.  Another rule to remember: epoxy will bond very well to polyester,
but not vice-versa!  That includes gel-coat.  If you want to gel-coat over a
repair do not use epoxy, the gel-coat will not adhere.  Fortunately for me,
every surface aboard Sugar Magnolia has been painted (some surfaces many,
many times), so matching gel-coat (which I've found to be very difficult) is
unnecessary and I use epoxy for most repairs and small projects.  In my
case, the only reason to use polyester is cost.  For example, for my
soon-to-be-started seahood project, there is enough material involved that
epoxy would make the project substantially more expensive, so polyester with
cloth, mat and a foam core is how I'm going to go.

There, that's probably worth about 2 cents, huh?

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
www.angelfire.com/ca/Alberg30

Forever.  If you have any desires to sell your products or services
online, or you want to expand your customer base for FREE, Come check
out Shabang.com FREE eStores.