[alberg30] main wiring harness

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 18 16:37:30 PST 2000

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Charles, try using this formula to determine wire gauge.

CM = ( I   multiplied by   L  multiplied by  10.75 ) divided by  0.36,

divide it by 0.72 instead for a 24 volt system

I = current, so if each bulb (or whatever) draws 1 amp and you have 3 bulbs then I = 3
L = actual length of wire run (in feet) from the battery AND back
( NOT straight line distance )

The answer (CM) will be in circular mills, use the chart below to convert that to wire gauge (AWG, not SAE). If your answer is between two values go down to the next bigger wire (the smaller the gauge number the bigger the wire). If your answer is 18 gauge, it is considered too fragile for boat use, move up to 16 gauge.

(I hope this chart shows up OK through e-mail, I'm using Rich Text HTML, if not my apologies)

      CM
     AWG

      1,620
     18